Track and Measure
The Internet is a dynamic marketing environment. Things change! The market changes, the competitive landscape changes, technology changes, your customer’s needs change. We believe it’s important to take notice of what is working on your site and what isn’t. To do this we recommend Analytic tracking software so that you can answer the following:
- How many visitors?
- Where do they come from?
- How did they get there?
- How long did they stay?
- What did they look at?
- What didn’t they look at?
- What ROI are you getting?
Success comes from trying, testing and measuring. This allows you to determine what is working and what is not.
Most sites only convert between 1% and 2% of visitors. Use Conversion techniques to increase your conversion rate. Change what isn’t working.
“A successful Internet Marketing Strategy is a Process, not an Event”!
- 91.6% of buyers go to a website before calling
- If they don’t find what they need, 80% choose another supplier
It’s not enough to simply say to your web developer “Build us a website”. The Internet has taken over as one of the key marketing channels for business. Ignore this at your peril. Even if you customers don’t actually purchase your products/services online, they are almost certain to check you out via your website before they contact you. You will never know that you lost them! Most sites lose 98% of their visitors!
It takes serious planning and commitment to make a site successful, so we strongly recommend that you follow our 6 point plan for an Internet Marketing Strategic Plan and Implementation Process:
- Budget for 4 stages
- Strategic Planning
- Build and Content Manage
- Track and Measure
It costs 5 times more to attract a new customer than to keep an existing one. Retention techniques encourage visitors to return to your website and become repeat customers.
- Email Marketing (Poor Acquisition tool but good Retention tool)
- Fresh, updated information
- RSS Feeds
- Free things
- Online Fault Reporting
- Reminder Services
So rather than spend more money driving more traffic to your site, use retention technicques to retain more of your existing traffic.
Did you know?
That the average time someone spends on a home page is between 3 & 7 seconds? Then up to 25 seconds if they think they’re in the right place.
- So you have about 7 seconds to persuade a visitor that they’re in the right place – otherwise they leave and go to your competitors.
- Consumers go to the search engines 91% of the time to find products and services.
- 78% of people will check you out online before contacting you or visiting your place of business.
If they don’t immediately like what they see or get the sense that you have what they’re looking for, they go elsewhere.
- The percentage of visitors who will scroll a home page is just 23%. So if your copy is below the fold, only 1 in 4 people will see it.
- Copy should be written at the reading age of 13. Unless it’s aimed solely at a specialist technical audience.
- The average time spent on an inner page is 45 seconds.
- The most used button is the browser back button. 59% of users use this.
- Pay per Click is the fastest growing segment of all advertising.
- Customers are not aware of 60% of what you do! Make it clear.
- 79% of visitors don’t actually read online – they skim and scan.